Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Mar 16 16:53:58 EST 2003

Jon said...

> --- Jacob Proffitt <Jacob at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>   One
> > family in our ward (we call our congregations
> > "wards"--I'm not sure if the
> > implication of insanity is deliberate)
>
> Ward, at least in Oz, can be a geographic term for a
> local area. Our municipality (Lake Macquarie) is
> divided into four wards, which would correspond
> reasonably well with church parishes. Most local
> government areas are similarly divided into wards.

Yeah, come to think of it, a ward is a political unit here - members of
county councils are elected for a particular ward.  It's effectively a
sub-division of a constituency.  I'd guess the Mormons are using the same
root concept when they call their congregations wards.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray