Book recommendation list Part II

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 16:12:47 EST 2003

Me, then Melissa:
> >And I'll guess by your rules you'll have to say that Susan
> >Cooper is American, since she's lived there since the mid-60's and wrote
all
> >except the first Dark is Rising book there.
>
> I know, and I'm not sure what to make of it, because her books are so
> heavily influenced by her British heritage....It's kind of irrelevant,
since
> she's well available (right?) but it does make things tricky in terms of
> nationality.

My copy of the media guide in the current Observer (a UK national Sunday
paper) lists a radio adaptation of her book _King of Shadows_, in which
she's described as a 'Canadian playwright'! Not because Canadian citizenship
is in any way seen as a compromise between British and American - oh no.
Presumably it's because she's married to the actor Hume Cronyn, who is
indeed (I think!) Canadian.

Charlie