Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 08:23:17 EST 2003

Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

> >Dorain...
> >But this hypothetical person that we're recommending these books to has
> >surely read other stuff, if not spec-fic, and is presumably not stupid; I
> >don't know that we need to "nanny" him/her too much.  Or am I being overly
> >optimistic?

> Oh!  I'm not saying we shouldn't recommend it!  we should.  I love
> Ender's Game, so much I gave a copy of it to my SO for Valentine's
> Day (get it?  Valentine...Valentine, um....actually I didn't even
> think of that until just now.)  I was actually mor wondering if I was
> being reactionary to see anti-semitism and misogyny in it.

I think you're right in that the women play traditional roles; I'm
not sure I'd go so far as to say that was misogyny.  As for the anti-
semitism, I didn't think so, but I'm not a semite.  [I learned from
working as a WASP in an overwhelmingly African-American office that
people who are not the object of a prejudice are not in any position
to say whether it exists or not.  The person who is not the object
simply doesn't see it.  And I remember Anita Hill, too.]

As for recommending it, I figure if you can read it, you can read it.
Mr. Card has some very interesting stuff in the edition I own about
feedback he has gotten from very gifted young people, who
seem to have felt very strongly that it spoke to them.