Names, advice

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 13:54:43 EST 2003

Ian:
> This is a tried-and-true way of doing things in the world of comic
> books as well. Superman, although introduced in 1938, is still in his
> early 30s. Robin, also introduced in the late 30s has gradually aged
> over the years - he's in his late 20s now.

You might also mention - in the UK - Dennis the Menace (here I mean the
Dundee not the USA version), Lord Snooty, Desperate Dan, etc., some of whom
were already up and running in WWII (when they shared the pages of the
Beano/Dandy with such ephemeral figures as 'Musso da Wop - He's a bigga da
flop!'). Or, between hard covers, there are the strange parallel careers of
Bertie Wooster and William Brown, both of whom remained oddly ageless
between circa 1920 and 1960. Funny how you never saw them together.

There's a thesis in this I suspect. What factors (generic, marketing or
other) determine the pressures on a writer to update/age his/her characters
(or not) as the years pass?

Charlie