Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Sat Mar 15 10:03:16 EST 2003

How do people on the list feel about Orson Scott Card's _Ender Game_?
In many ways, I find the book very powerful, and yet I always feel
vaguely uncomfortable.  Obviously 1)it's NOT appropriate for small
children (and I strongly object to them publishing it YA -- what were
they thinking?  6 year olds *kill* people.  And it's described.
Graphically in one point.  Small animals get tortured.  Sorry...but,
the book is just not appropriate for younger kids.  It gave me
nightmares when I was in high school (the Giant's Drink)), but 2) I
keep finding things that make me twitch and say 'misogyny,'
'anti-semitism.'  I mean, Card makes his one female equal very
competent (Petra), but he also says there are very few women being
trained, because they've evolved to be bad fighters.  And then again,
with Rose the Nose, when the reader is told that all of the Jewish
generals always win fights, and we're told that almost everyone in
power is Jewish...Am I just overly sensitive?
ObDWJ: Although Ender's Game has a vaguely similar setting to A
Sudden Wild Magic, I have never thought of comparing them, until I
had to come up with an ObDWJ.
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for