Names, advice

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Sat Mar 15 00:52:17 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Margaret Ball wrote:

|> It's particularly bad when you write for children... my 1980s teens
|> should by now be in their 30s, so how can I pick them up at still 15?
|> Either I have to set the story in the 80s - making it retro, if not
|> exactly historical, or else drag them into the Noughties, where they,
|> their attitudes and ideas don't fit...
|
|Take Antonia Forest's Marlow family for inspiration? Look what a time
|span those books cover - if she'd been too literal the original
|characters would've been grandparents by the end of the series!

The best, in my opinion is the Mrs. Pollifax books.  The time span
they're written over includes decades, the time span they take place
over is probably 8-10 years, and events are always current.  So
Carstairs was an OSS man during WWII, and is still a CIA head in a time
that's very clearly about 2000 or 2001.  People just don't age
particularly, which is impressive given that they're spy novels in a
series which started while there was still a substantial iron curtain.

Shades of Mitt and Maewen...

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
Note the appropriate auto-picked random sig file!
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho