Book recommendation list Part II

Sat Mar 15 00:43:37 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:51:41 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>> > Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger".(American)
>>
>> Not "Dragondrums"? Only one sex scene, mostly implied and very
>> tastefully done (if that's the one with Sebell on the boat).
>
>I've never much liked "Dragondrums"; it's all about Piemur, pretty much, and
>I like him *much* better as a secondary character than as the protag.  Also,
>I think Menolly's far more the type of character to appeal to a teen -
>especially a female teen - so a reader might be disappointed if they thought
>"Dragondrums" was going to continue her story, because it doesn't really.

I love _Dragondrums_.  We used to giggle and whisper about the notorious
chapter eleven. :)  At any rate, I think it's better to let people know that
there are three books and let them decide for themselves.  I always thought
Piemur the kind of character who would appeal to a boy more than Menolly
did.

Oh, and here's something I probably won't put on the rec list, because it's
impossible to find: _Drujienna's Harp_ by Ellen Kindt McKenzie.  Her other
stuff is better known, but this is the only one I've read.  The narrative
style is very difficult to follow in places, but the descriptions were so
beautiful and evocative that I've never forgotten it.  I'm so glad I have my
own copy.

Melissa Proffitt