On Mercedes Lackey

Sat Mar 15 00:38:22 EST 2003

I realize that mileage may vary on the Arrows of the Queen books, or even
the rest of Mercedes Lackey's books, but in reading them as a young teenager
I also felt they were just too much for my innocent self.  This makes me
reluctant to recommend them except where I know the kid in question very
well.  This is perhaps something to consider, because I know I am likely to
err too much on the side of caution--I apologize for having such a low
opinion of the general intelligence and attention span of young people
today--but the overall "safety" of a recommendation list keeps niggling at
me.  Probably because it is rather impersonal, and thus has to appeal to a
very broad range of readers.  But I also don't want to get so uptight that I
wouldn't recommend _Sabriel_ because it mentions her discomfort at seeing a
man's penis--that's a silly extreme to go to.

I've forgotten what my point was.  Possibly I didn't have one.  It's late,
we have a party tomorrow, and I have to go to the store tonight.  I would
rather be reading _The Element of Fire_.

The author count stands at 172.  When it reaches 200 my head will explode.

Melissa Proffitt