Fri Mar 14 20:56:39 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:27:51 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Melissa replied to me...
>
>> I tend not to move in such elevated circles.  :)  Sure, a party is an
>> informal setting, and usually the person doing the introduction is someone
>> do know well, so that's not a problem.  But I was talking about calling
>> someone I haven't been introduced to, or don't know well, and for me
>that's
>> a different situation.
>
>I honestly can't think of a situation where someone who didn't know me well
>would be calling me and not knowing to ask for either Ms. Duncan or Dorian.
>There just is no in-between.  In my world, anyway.  Obviously there are more
>differences than I thought between Ireland and the US.

Telemarketers do this all the time--though they do any number of worse
things that earn them my ire.  It's also a salesman tactic, for some reason,
and I can generally tell which of the people I just barely know have had
sales training because they call me "Melissa" way too often.  And touch me
gently on the arm, which also drives me insane.

It doesn't happen very often, though; don't imagine that this is how all my
phone calls turn out.  Mostly it's a dead line because an idiot computer is
calling me again and they don't have an available operator.  You know that
bit in _Good Omens_ where the demon is trapped in the phone system and comes
roaring out to wreak havoc in a telemarketing office?  I have to work hard
to feel sympathy for the humans.

Melissa Proffitt