Book recommendation list Part II

Fri Mar 14 20:47:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:53:09 +0000 (GMT), Rosie Hopkins wrote:

>I love Mary Renault, by the way. Can we squeeze her on to the
>recommende reads list somehow?! (Well, there is a sort of brief time
>travel sequence in The Mask of Apollo - my favourite.)

Certain kinds of historical fiction with mythological/divine elements would
qualify, I think.  I think there's a reasonable amount of cross-pollination
going on, anyway.  I read _The King Must Die_ far too quickly when I was 14;
I spent about a month in a high school in Denver, took a World Lit class,
and when I found out we were moving I insisted on finishing it and taking
the test.  But I regret now that I didn't just read it for fun on my
own...of course, it was the school's copy, and I didn't know about used book
stores yet....

Melissa Proffitt