Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Mar 14 16:27:51 EST 2003

Melissa replied to me...

> I tend not to move in such elevated circles.  :)  Sure, a party is an
> informal setting, and usually the person doing the introduction is someone
> do know well, so that's not a problem.  But I was talking about calling
> someone I haven't been introduced to, or don't know well, and for me
that's
> a different situation.

I honestly can't think of a situation where someone who didn't know me well
would be calling me and not knowing to ask for either Ms. Duncan or Dorian.
There just is no in-between.  In my world, anyway.  Obviously there are more
differences than I thought between Ireland and the US.

> >Oddly enough, in principle I feel the same way, but in practice I don't
mind
> >the bank clerk or the doctor calling me by my first name.  Possibly
because
> >these are people that I do know slightly; I see them on a regular if not
> >necessarily frequent basis.  I *would* be very annoyed if some random
> >operator at the gas company did it, though.
>
> I don't mind so much with the doctor (for the reason you cite), but I
never
> get the same clerks twice, so I don't know them at all and it feels very
> random.

Well, my local bank branch is small, and I know all the personnel.
Recently, in fact, I had to coach a new employee through the transaction I
was trying to make!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--