Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Mar 14 16:18:28 EST 2003

Sallyo said...

> On calling someone one doesn't know... that usually happens when I *do*
know
> (say) Andrew Smith or Jane Jones, and when I call them back on a number I
> have, a woman/man answers. Is it - a spouse? A friend? Sister/brother?
>
> What I do is say; Hello, this is Sally Odgers. Is Andrew/Jane there? which
> my husband says sounds abrupt and a bit rude, as if I'm "using the other
> person like an answer machine".

No, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to say.  Most people here
wouldn't even bother identifying themselves (outside of business-to-business
calls, identification is uncommon), so I'll get a random person saying "Hi,
can I speak to Patrick?" and I'll just say "Yeah, just a minute" and go find
him.  (Then he moans because I don't know who it is, but I don't ask "who's
calling?" when I'm not at work.  And I'm the world's worst when it comes to
recognising voices, anyway.  The message on my mobile phone finishes with
"please don't assume that I'll be able to recognise your voice or remember
your number"!)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--