Names, advice

Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 19:51:22 EST 2003

Megan Knight wrote:

> My surname is Knight, my husband's is Hayes. We have kept our names for
> various reasons, for six years, but are starting to consider other options.
> (Loooooonng story). So, how do they soudn hyphenated, to you who have not
> been running the possibilities around in your heads for six years?
> Knight-Hayes, Hayes-Knight. I can no longer tell if they sound fine, or
> great or awful. And which one?

Well, of course you know that conventionally the woman's name goes first,
so under that rule it would be Knight-Hayes.

I like Hayes-Knight better.

It sounds hyphenated, which Psmith wouldn't, but Psmith would be very
confusing for everybody who know you.  [Using Psmith as an example,
you understand, assuming that you didn't actually mean that exact
name.]

On another paw, picking a surname might be fun.  I'd go for something
that started with 'ff', I think.