Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 19:03:57 EST 2003

Somebody said:

> > Come to think of it, where is Parrish pronounced
> > Pah-rish instead of
> > Perish?  I figure on an international list like this
> > one, *someone* must be
> > able to say it the way his (American) family does.

> I would pronounce it with the "a" sound as in "cat"
> rather than "part". Wasn't the clergyman in Princess
> Bride the Late and much lamented Peter Cook, a
> brilliant comic actor.

I hope that's what was meant, because that's certainly
how _I_ pronounce it.  [I have a friend who was raised
in Oregon and DC and she can't hear the difference in
pronunciation between Parry and Perry, which I think is
what is going on here as well.]

I grew up in Connecticut.  A movie called 'Parrish' was
made in the late 50s.  I never saw it, but it involves
the New England tobacco industry [of which you have
probably never heard], and the sister of a friend of
mine was an extra in it.  I'm sorry to say I don't
know whether the Parrish in question is a first or
last name, but it hardly matters.  I remember it as
having been made from a novel, but I can't swear to
that.