Book recommendation list Part II

Thu Mar 13 13:14:24 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:22:22 -0000, Charles Butler wrote:

>And I'll guess by your rules you'll have to say that Susan
>Cooper is American, since she's lived there since the mid-60's and wrote all
>except the first Dark is Rising book there.

I know, and I'm not sure what to make of it, because her books are so
heavily influenced by her British heritage....It's kind of irrelevant, since
she's well available (right?) but it does make things tricky in terms of
nationality.

>(By the same token, my
>dictionary tells me that T.S. Eliot and Henry James are 'British writers,
>born in the USA'!)

Oh, they're both totally British now.  Though in studying English lit in the
US, you tend to get a double dose, because we'd really like to claim them
over here.  :)

>And if you're doing pseudonyms, Lemony Snicket is really Daniel Handler.

I'm keeping track of which names are pseudonymous, but not really what their
real name is unless you can find other eligible books under the real name.

Melissa Proffitt