Book recommendation list Part II

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Thu Mar 13 09:16:29 EST 2003

>On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:17:20 -0800 (PST), Ven wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering about the designation British.
>
>That's just my ignorant American attitude about everyone living in those
>islands being of one race and one culture.  You are, right?  ;)

And since we're getting picky :-)

I know that this is nitpicky (and touchy), but, technically
Argentinians, Canadians, and Ecuadorians are American as well, not
just those folks who live in the US. Unfortunatley, there's not a
good adjective (USians?) for the citizens of the United States that
does not negate the existence of the millions of people who don't
live in that country.

I know that it's touchy of my to bring this up and I know that people
on this list realize that Canada exists separately from the U.S., but
those of us raised as Canucks are a little paranoid when it comes to
being subsumed in "The Land of the Free". Call it an adverse reaction
to Manifest Destiny!

Could we perhaps refer to the country of origin (U.S., Canada,
Australia, Sweden) rather than using an adjective (American,
Canadian, Australian, Swedish)?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net