Book recommendation list Part II

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Mar 13 09:02:04 EST 2003

Dorian:

>Patricia Lynch was Irish (an awkward one; she was born (in
>Cork) under British rule, but lived to 1972, and anyway we claim people like
>Osc.Wilde, so...);

That's not even remotely awkward!  My dad was also born in Cork under
British rule, but there is never *any* question but that he was an
Irish writer.

>Kate Thompson has lived in England, the US, India and Ireland,
>but I can't find a reference to her nationality.

Nor I - although the info in her latest says 'travelled extensively
in India', rather than lived there.  She's lived for over 10 years in
Ireland now.

-Diane Duane has lived in Ireland for some years now, which might be
relevant if potentially confusing.  Where was her latest book
published, does anyone know?

Charlie:

>I'd at least separate the British Isles into the Irish Republic and the UK,
>or you may find that you've no sooner escaped the wrath of the Disappointed
>Dollmagers than you're set upon with a shillelagh/neatly-rolled umbrella.

The first part of your sentence is unarguably correct, but you have
to realise that Ireland has kept up with the times, and a shillelagh
would no longer be the weapon of choice for the attack.

Hallie.