Book recommendation list Part II

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 13 05:06:55 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 23:04, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> I prefer Penelope Farmer's "A Castle of Bone" to "Charlotte
> Sometimes", though it's much less well-known.

Yes! Yes! My copy, an old Puffin, is falling apart (quite a feat for old
Puffins).

> I'd be inclined to limit the Mercedes Lackey recommendation to the
> "Arrows" trilogy and maybe "The Last Herald-Mage" trilogy (depending
> on reader's/parents' prejudices).

The middle volume of the Arrows trilogy has graphic sex and gratuitous
violence (torture). I'd hesitatingly recommend it to daughters of mine
(who I know should be well-inoculated when they're in their teens) but
not to anyone else's teenage children unless I knew their sensitivities
and reading experience very well.

> William Goldman's "The Princess Bride" (still trying to decide
> whether I like the film or the book better!).(American?)

Firmly American, and though I like the book *I* like the film better.
The book reads like a film novelization instead of the other way
around. Boudewijn (my husband, not my partner ;-) likes the film, but
not much, and can't read the book at all because of the authorial
interruptions.

> Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger".(American)

Not "Dragondrums"? Only one sex scene, mostly implied and very
tastefully done (if that's the one with Sebell on the boat).

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-Mar-2003