Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 13 04:59:19 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 06:01, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:55:33 -0500 (EST), johanna wrote:

> >Hm... so would you be offended if I referred to Jacob as your
> > partner?
>
> I wouldn't get offended over that, but I'd probably correct you.  :)

Me too... actually happened a few times, and I tend to say "he's not my
partner, he's my husband!" "Partner" when used for a specific person
rather than generically has a connotation of "not actually married, but
in an equivalent situation" for me. And I sometimes wonder why people
use the catchall term when they can use the more specific one, but then
gay friends of mine say "my husband" and "my wife" (this is two
couples, one M/M and one F/F, of course) as well.

> >Individually or if I said something like "Every DWJ list member's
> >partners"? I'm not being snide, I really am curious, because after I
> > typed that last paragraph the question occurred to me.
>
> I think this would be an appropriate term to use in this situation,
> because it's referring to relationships in the aggregate.  It's a
> broad enough term

Yes.

>  (Same thing goes for parental consent forms from
> school...or rather, parent/grandparent/caretaker/foster parent/day
> care provider consent forms, these days.)

They address us as "parents or caregivers".

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-Mar-2003