short stories (Was Re: a plague of peacocks

Kale lskale at metaplaxia.net
Thu Mar 13 04:51:18 EST 2003

At 06:39 PM 3/10/2003 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>i asked people about favorit DWJ short stories quite some time ago but i
>got a rather lukewarm response. personally i'm very fond of that and
>dragon reserve home eight. i lump DRHE in with hexwood in my mind
>kindasorta, although they don't have anything to do with each other directly.

I do, too.  Besides the setting, which makes me think it might be one of
the Reigner worlds, I think that one of the characters has the same name as
Reigner One.

I have a fondness for "Warlock at the Wheel".  I read this story several
times before I got to read _Charmed Life_, so I felt dreadfully sorry for
the Willing Warlock.  Even considering what he tried to do, I have to pity
the man for being saddled with Jemima Jane.  "The Master" is another story
that stayed in my head, particularly the ending.

DWJ wrote in the introduction to _Believing is Seeing_ that "nad and Dan
adn Quaffy" was "a loving send-up of a well-known author whose writing I
admire and read so avidly that I'm sure I know where a lot of it comes
from."  Anyone know who this author is?  I read on a C.J. Cherryh
messageboard that it was supposed to be her.

Kale