Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 00:48:46 EST 2003

--- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:
> This is even Offer Topica-
>
> If you went into a cafe and ordered a cup/pot of
> tea, what would you assume
> the waitress would assume you wanted?
>
> I ask this because I didn't get what I expected, and
> my daughter argued I
> was in the wrong.
> I'll insert spoiler space now...
Is this for coffee drinkers?

in case they change to tea in the future?

> Right. I expected a cup of Indian tea, with milk
> supplied separately. That's
> what I always got before.
>
> I did *not* expect Emperor Garden tea, which is pale
> green and herbal...
>
> I asked for "ordinary tea" the second time, and got
> - Earl Grey.
>
> I don't like Earl Grey. It doesn't taste anything
> *like* plain Indian tea.
>
> My daughter says I should have specified "Indian
> tea". I say I should only
> have specified if I wanted something that *wasn't*
> Indian tea. I said "Tea"
> and if the waitress was unsure, she should have
> asked for qualification.
>
> As I said, always in that cafe (same waitress, too)
> I have asked for "tea"
> and got "tea"... except this week.
>
> So, am I being totally unreasonable?

No. Not in Australia anyway. Here "tea" is Indian
unless something else - herbal, green or whatever is
specifically asked for, or unless there is a menu that
only offers a specific tea. Same goes for Earl Grey -
not everyone is John Luc Picard, there are plenty of
tea drinkers who can't stand Earl Grey, my
wife/partner/SO is one of them.

Jon (a coffee drinker)