Wed Mar 12 20:44:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:22:46 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:

>Well, as long as nobody admits to liking JKR more than DWJ.  Then we
>call them mindless drones of the something.

Mindless drones of...the inadequate educational system that will someday be
pouring Brain Puree out of the skulls of the hapless youth of
America/Canada/Yugoslavia/the world?

>A troll^H^H^H^H^H poster on the Readerville DWJ forum just posted that
>she doesn't think DWJ is as good as McKinley or McKillip or Duane.
>'Cause, you know, _Spindle's End_ ranks right up there with Homeward
>Bounders.  (To be fair, I once loved McKinley.  But where DWJ has grown
>as a writer as she's written more, I feel McKinley has become
>self-indulgent.)

Hmmm, I think you're right.  I've been trying to peg the difference for a
long time, and that could be it.  Notice that it was _The Blue Sword_ and
_The Hero and the Crown_ that got the Newbery nod--and not the later stuff?
Heh.

And much as I love Diane Duane, you have to be completely out of your gourd
to class her above DWJ.

>Hey, Melissa, I just picked up my copy of The Dollmage at our
>probably-doomed branch library about 30 minutes ago.  I'd better like
>it, or I'll beat you up, you mindless drone, you.

No, YOU'D better like it, or I'm mailing you a big scarlet A to wear on your
sinning bosom.  Hey, Scarlet Harlot rhymes!  Sounds like a superheroine for
the twenty-first century.  But my innocent soul balks at determining what
her powers might be.

(Besides, I'm not afraid of you.  I'm already living in terror because I've
convinced the members of my reading group to PURCHASE the book at exorbitant
prices.  They're going to come after me with pitchforks or something.)

>-deborah
>happily living in sin
>(and I've been touchier about using partner since, after describing my
>male SO as my partner while applying for a mortgage at our local
>community-oriented bank, I was asked for "her name".  Which embarrased
>the heck out of  the bank employee when I explained.)

This made me laugh.  You could dress him in a formal gown for the next time
you both go in together....

Melissa Proffitt

-----
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.