Book recommendation list Part II

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Mar 12 17:04:48 EST 2003

Melissa said...

> For Part II, I'd like to invite you all to review the list and see if
> there's anything I've left off--especially anyone who has recently joined
> the list.  Remember that the goal here is to recommend books that would be
> suitable/interesting to teenagers, though that's still a very wide field.

Okay, I'm sort of going backwards here...here's some stuff on nationalities.
The following are author nationalities that I'm fairly sure of:

Gillian Cross is married to an MP, so probably has British citizenship
through her marriage if not by birth (her books are all set in England);
Penelope Farmer's bio in my copy of "A Castle of Bone" implies strongly but
doesn't actually state that she's British; Paul Gallico was American; M. M.
Kaye is British; Patricia Lynch was Irish (an awkward one; she was born (in
Cork) under British rule, but lived to 1972, and anyway we claim people like
Osc.Wilde, so...); Pat O'Shea is Irish by birth but moved to England at age
16; Richard Parker is definitely British, though he lived in Tasmania for a
time; Barbara Sleigh was British; Catherine Storr is British.

And here's a bunch of educated guesses (IN GENERAL, writers set contemporary
stories in their home countries, and IN GENERAL, writers are first published
in their home countries, so this lot is based on story settings and
copyright info, but *may* not be correct):

Vivien Alcock - British; Lucy M. Boston - British; John Christopher -
British; Gillian Cross - British; Annie Dalton - British; Ruth Park -
Australian.

I know Arthur C. Clarke now lives in Sri Lanka, but I think he's British
originally.  Kate Thompson has lived in England, the US, India and Ireland,
but I can't find a reference to her nationality.

Notes on specific books by the authors you listed:
I'd add "The Lost Prince" under Frances Hodgson Burnett; it's about as
fantastical as "The Secret Garden" (i.e. it's subtle and may not really be
magic).
Besides John Christopher's SF trilogies I recall a stand-alone entitled
"Empty World" in which the hero wakes up to find everyone else in the world
gone (or maybe dead).
I prefer Penelope Farmer's "A Castle of Bone" to "Charlotte Sometimes",
though it's much less well-known.
I'd be inclined to limit the Mercedes Lackey recommendation to the "Arrows"
trilogy and maybe "The Last Herald-Mage" trilogy (depending on
reader's/parents' prejudices).
"The Grey Goose of Kilnevin" is probably Patricia Lynch's best-known book;
"The Turf-Cutter's Donkey" is also worth a look.
Don't forget "Bedknob and Broomstick" under Mary Norton.

And a few I think should go in:
Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and sequels; I imagine the
humour would go down well with teens.(British)
Gerald Durrell's "The Talking Parcel" is fun and should appeal to younger
teens/pre-teens.(British)
William Goldman's "The Princess Bride" (still trying to decide whether I
like the film or the book better!).(American?)
"A Dark Horn Blowing" by Dahlov Ipcar (myth/folklore/ballad
influenced).(American?)
Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger".(American)
Anything by Orla Melling (mixed urban fantasy/Irish myth &
fairytale).(Irish)
"19 Railway Street" by Michael Scott and Morgan Llywelyn (1907/1776
time-slip).(Irish & American)
Catherine Sefton's "In a Blue Velvet Dress" (sort-of ghost story).(British)
"The Last Days of the Edge of the World" by Brian Stableford (nice twist on
the "three tasks" idea).(British)
Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game".(American)

That's enough I think. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--