deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Mar 12 17:22:46 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|I was going to continue, but I realized that this discussion really is off
|topic and is leading in a not-so-happy direction.  One of the things I am
|grateful for is that the people on this list have always been comfortable
|referring to the varied kinds of relationships they are part of, without
|feeling that they will be looked down on for, I don't know, shacking up or
|living in sin or being mindless drones of the establishment.  I like the
|atmosphere of generosity this creates.
|
|Melissa Proffitt
|(officially marking the "mindless drone" box)

Well, as long as nobody admits to liking JKR more than DWJ.  Then we
call them mindless drones of the something.

A troll^H^H^H^H^H poster on the Readerville DWJ forum just posted that
she doesn't think DWJ is as good as McKinley or McKillip or Duane.
'Cause, you know, _Spindle's End_ ranks right up there with Homeward
Bounders.  (To be fair, I once loved McKinley.  But where DWJ has grown
as a writer as she's written more, I feel McKinley has become
self-indulgent.)

Hey, Melissa, I just picked up my copy of The Dollmage at our
probably-doomed branch library about 30 minutes ago.  I'd better like
it, or I'll beat you up, you mindless drone, you.

-deborah
happily living in sin
(and I've been touchier about using partner since, after describing my
male SO as my partner while applying for a mortgage at our local
community-oriented bank, I was asked for "her name".  Which embarrased
the heck out of  the bank employee when I explained.)