Jenwa Hsung jenwahsung at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 14:01:52 EST 2003

--- johanna <johanna at nobrandheroine.net> wrote:
> > My problem with this is that I *am* young (college
> age) and so is my
> > boyfriend (10 days older) and partners implies
> living together, long
> > relationship.
>
> Hm... I can see your point, but I don't really see
> it myself as implying
> either. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic (how can
> you get it away from
> implying that if you don't use it, that sort of
> thing).

I would say that while partner doesn't imply living
together or a long relationship necessarily, it
definitely implies a certain level of serious
commitment (of which living together and a long
relationship are indictors).  Which I think it good,
really.

I tend to prefer SO, because it doesn't have quite so
strong of an implication of commitment, and yet is
happily gender-neutral.  And I know a lot of techie
and techie-sympathetic types who don't need the term
explained.

If I became really committed to someone, I might
switch to partner.  But I would want to save it until
then.

--jenwa.