Book recommendation list Part II

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 13:47:15 EST 2003

Melissa

Here are a few additions to your nationality matrix. How are you defining
nationality, though? Not sure whether it's by where they started or where
they ended up, or where they did their best work. Amendations in that
spirit...

Frances Hodgson Burnett British (but spent much time - including late
childhood - in USA)
Susan Cooper recently took US nationality (but only for technical
reasons...)
Gillian Cross is British
Penelope Farmer is British
Delia Huddy is British
Eva Ibbotsen British (but born and spent childhood in Austria - wartime
refugee I think)
Dick King-Smith is British
C.S. Lewis British (if you count Ulster...)
Jill Murphy is British
Lemony Snicket is American
Catherine Storr was British
Rosemary Sutcliff was British
John Wyndham British (can I add 'The Chrysalids' to your list - it's my
favourite! Though 'The Midwich Cuckoos' is pretty good too...)

Now I'm going to go away and think about additions to the list.

Charlie