Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Wed Mar 12 12:39:54 EST 2003

johanna danced around singing:
>I guess what I don't understand is why the distinction is so important--I
>mean, if you say "partner" (holding aside the issue of business partners &
>such), people will know that you are committed to this person. Why does it
>matter if you are legally bound or not? What additional information does
>it add that you want conveyed?

I agree.  I don't think that I am less committed to my other half because
-- thanks to my government's interesting idea of supporting the disabled
along with my belief in not having anyone personally support me -- I lack a
piece of paper and a ceremony that belongs to a religion neither of us
believe in.  I've known plenty of married couples that bailed at far fewer
problems than we've tackled, and quite a few individuals that have had many
times more marriages/divorces than I've had partners!

This especially holds true if the man in the relationship has Asperger
Syndrome -- lifelong dedication is known in the AS community to be one of
the traits the men almost universally have.  (They're also all remarkably
similar in tenacity & mentality to Mordion of Hexwood, to bring this
semi-OT.)  As I commented to my partner a while back, "I wonder if the
reason nobody else would be your girlfriend before me is because they all
recognized the warning signs that the first woman willing to be with you
would be physically unable to get rid of you if things went poorly..."

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're a hero.  You *can't* be a coward!"
"Oh, can't I just!"
-- Diana Wynne Jones