johanna johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Wed Mar 12 10:12:43 EST 2003

> I totally agree with Melissa on this one (she is so right). In
> Australia, a  lot of government forms have become so "inclusive" they
> don't actually let  you specify spouse as spouse, but only give the
> option of saying "partner".  We caused some trouble by crossing it out
> and writing "spouse".

I guess what I don't understand is why the distinction is so important--I
mean, if you say "partner" (holding aside the issue of business partners &
such), people will know that you are committed to this person. Why does it
matter if you are legally bound or not? What additional information does
it add that you want conveyed? I could, perhaps, understand for census
forms & such because maybe they just want statistical data. But beyond
that, I'm not sure what benefits it would offer.

Johanna

--
What, after all, is a halo? It’s only one more thing to keep clean.
--Christopher Fry, The Lady's Not For Burning

www.nobrandheroine.net