Book recommendation list Part II

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Mar 12 09:23:41 EST 2003

One correction:

Monica Hughes is Canadian (born in Liverpool and emigrated to Canada
in 1952). And, sadly, passed away recently.

     C B C . C A  N e w s   -   F u l l   S t o r y :
     Sci-Fi writer Monica Hughes dead at 77
ArtsCanadaEDMONTON - Internationally acclaimed author Monica Hughes,
considered the first science fiction writer for young adults in
Canada, has died in Edmonton. She was 77.The award-winning author
died of a stroke Friday morning.Hughes' received a number of honours
during her prolific writing career that included the publication of
more than 30 books. "She had a wide following of children because she
spoke about issues that were important to them and she spoke in a way
that they responded to very well," Gail de Vos, director of the
Alberta League to Encourage Storytelling, and a friend of Hughes,
said.She won the Canada Council's Children Literature Prize (since
renamed the Governor General's Literature Award) for her novels
Hunter in the Dark  - about a boy with leukemia and The Guardian Of
Isis  - part of her fantasy saga trilogy.Hughes became the first
Canadian to be honoured with the Phoenix Award for her Isis Trilogy.
The honour goes to a book originally published twenty years earlier
that did not receive a major award at the time of its publication.The
Order of Canada recipient was born in Liverpool in 1925 and
immigrated to Canada in 1952.She and her husband Glen Hughes had four
children, and moved to Edmonton in 1964. She began writing in
1971.For more arts news, listen to The Arts Report weekdays at 7:12
a.m., 8:12 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. on CBC Radio Two.

     Copyright 2002 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

ian

> [...]
>John Christopher	?		three trilogies
>Arthur C. Clarke	?		"Islands in the Sky"
>Susan Cooper		British
>Helen Cresswell		British		Moondial
>Gillian Cross		?
>Jane Louise Curry	British?
>Annie Dalton		?
>Roald Dahl		British
>Diane Duane		American
>Edward Eager		American?
>Sylvia Louise Engdahl	American
>Michael Ende		German
>Penelope Farmer		?		Charlotte Sometimes
>Catherine Fisher	British
>Paul Gallico		?		"Jennie"
>Alan Garner		British
>Roger Lancelyn Green	British
>Harry Harrison		American	Stainless Steel Rat
>Robert Heinlein		American	juvenile novels
>Zenna Henderson		American	"People" stories
>H.M. Hoover		American
>Delia Huddy		?		Time Piper
>Monica Hughes		American?	Isis, etc.
>Eva Ibbotsen		British		"Platform 13" et al
>Diana Wynne Jones	British
>Norton Juster		?		Phantom Tollbooth
>M. M. Kaye		?		The Ordinary Princess
>Dick King-Smith		?		for young teens
>Mercedes Lackey		American	rec. with care
>Andrew Lang		British		Color Fairy Books
>Louise Lawrence		?		SF
>Ursula Le Guin		American
>Madeleine L'engle	American
>Gail Carson Levine	American	Ella Enchanted
>C.S. Lewis		British		Narnia
>Patrick Little		?		The Hawthorn Tree
>Patricia Lynch		British?
>Megan Lindholm		American
>Margaret Mahy		New Zealand
>George MacDonald	British
>Eloise Jarvis McGraw	American?
>Patricia McKillip	American
>Robin McKinley		American	NOT Deerskin
>Jill Murphy		British?	Worst Witch
>William Nicholson	British
>Jenny Nimmo		?
>E. Nesbit		British
>Garth Nix		Australian
>Andre Norton		American	early novels
>Mary Norton		British		Borrowers books
>Robert C. O'Brien	American
>Sally Odgers		Australian
>Pat O'Shea		?		Hounds of the Morrigan
>Ruth Park		?		Playing Beatie Bow
>Richard Parker		British?	The Old Powder Line
>Maggie Pearson		?		Owl Light, etc.
>Meredith Ann Pierce	American	Darkangel books
>Tamora Pierce		American
>Elizabeth Marie Pope	?
>Terry Pratchett		British		Discworld
>Philip Pullman		British
>Philip Reeve		British		Mortal Engines
>Emily Rhodda		Australian
>Sally Rogers-Davidson	Australian?	Polymer
>J.K. Rowling		British
>Gillian Rubenstein	?
>Fay Sampson		British (?)
>Clifford D. Simak	?
>Barbara Sleigh		?		"Carbonel" books
>Sherwood Smith		American	Crown and Court Duel
>Lemony Snicket		?		Baudelaire children
>Caroline Stevermer	American	in print
>Catherine Storr		?		Marianne Dreams
>Rosemary Sutcliff	British?
>Kate Thompson		?		"Switchers" trilogy
>J.R.R. Tolkien		British		The Hobbit
>Megan Whalen Turner	American	Thief/Queen of Attolia
Nothing of the Dog
>Patricia Wrede		American	Mairelon and Dragons
>Patricia Wrightson	?		Down to Earth
>John Wyndham		British		esp. Triffids and Chocky
>Jane Yolen		American	"Dragons" short stories bk
>

>-----
>English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
>languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through
>their pockets for loose vocabulary.
>
>--

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net