Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Wed Mar 12 08:15:14 EST 2003

Johanna:
>I wish more people would use the convention of speaking of their
>SOs/spouses/whatever as their "partner." It's so wonderfully inclusive &
>doesn't assume marriage status or sexuality (although at this stage,
>people tend to assume the latter if you use it--me being bisexual throws
>them off even more *g*). And then you don't have to worry about getting it
>wrong.
My problem with this is that I *am* young (college age) and so is my
boyfriend (10 days older) and partners implies living together, long
relationship.  We're at nearly a year, which (in my mind) is not long
enough for partner status, but sufficiently longer than the average
college relationship (someone once told me, when my SO and I had been
together for 9 months that she didn't have an attention span that
long...) that boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't work (especially because a
lot of boyfriend/girlfriends at college purposely cap their
relationship at a year, so when I talk about my SO in the future as a
'boyfriend' people get confused.  Sad, ain't it?).  and obviously,
spouse is out (besides being, IMO, an ugly word).  So I tend to use
SO, or boyfriend (but nly because it's quicker ;))
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for