Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 02:25:22 EST 2003

Rebecca wrote:

>Oberlin's old e-mail system assigned e-mail addresses as S(First
>initial)(middle initial)(last initial)(4 random digits)@oberlin.edu. They
>replaced initials that students didn't have with an 'x'.  The worst case
>scenario of this that I saw (doing data entry) was a student whose last
>name started with a 'y,' and was using, I believe Elizabeth as a chosen
>Anglicization of her name and had no middle name.  Her e-mail username was
>then sexy(random numbers).
Yeah.

Harvard's email system gives you the initials of all names up to your
surname, and then as many letters as possible out of your surname up to a
maximum of 8. This gave my roommate the very pretty sang at ... . But I had
trouble convincing the computer society people that Bar was part of my
surname, not a middle name, and that Gili was a middle name, not a nickname.
At first I was given the address hillel at ..., which caused much confusion as
Hillel happens to be the name of a major student organisation that was
receiving all my mail... then I asked for gbarhill, and was flatly refused,
some woman wrote me a snide response that "nicknames are unnacceptable". I
ended up as abhillel, which is just wrong, but it stuck.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug