hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 02:16:37 EST 2003

Johanna
> I wish more people would use the convention of speaking of their
> SOs/spouses/whatever as their "partner." It's so wonderfully inclusive &
> doesn't assume marriage status or sexuality (although at this stage,
> people tend to assume the latter if you use it--me being bisexual throws
> them off even more *g*). And then you don't have to worry about getting it
> wrong.

I've used this sometimes, though even this can get ambiguous if you run a small business or play tennis doubles. I'm tempted to blame the inherent imprecision of the English language (which at other times I laud) but I suspect in this case it's just reflecting society's uncertainties and embarrassments right back at it: people just feel queasy about the institution of marriage itself.

Charlie

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £14.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890