johanna johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Wed Mar 12 01:19:18 EST 2003

> Blimey - remind me to never ring you up. I hate being snubbed... and I
> really hate not knowing if a couple cohabiting are (a) married, but
> using different surnames (b) unmarried and using different surnames or
> (c) sharing a surname. It shouldn't matter, but as aforesaid - I don't
> like to be snubbed and it happens if I get the wrong end of the stick. I
> mean... several couples I know slightly may or may not be married... how
> would I know, if they don't (a) display wedding pics or (b) tell me?

Yeah, but why would this matter if you were just going to call them on the
phone? One presumes you know their first names. And then as you got to
know them better & felt comfortable asking, you could do so.

I wish more people would use the convention of speaking of their
SOs/spouses/whatever as their "partner." It's so wonderfully inclusive &
doesn't assume marriage status or sexuality (although at this stage,
people tend to assume the latter if you use it--me being bisexual throws
them off even more *g*). And then you don't have to worry about getting it
wrong.

Johanna

--
What, after all, is a halo? It’s only one more thing to keep clean.
--Christopher Fry, The Lady's Not For Burning

www.nobrandheroine.net