Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Tue Mar 11 23:48:31 EST 2003

Oberlin's old e-mail system assigned e-mail addresses as S(First
initial)(middle initial)(last initial)(4 random digits)@oberlin.edu.
They replaced initials that students didn't have with an 'x'.  The
worst case scenario of this that I saw (doing data entry) was a
student whose last name started with a 'y,' and was using, I believe
Elizabeth as a chosen Anglicization of her name and had no middle
name.  Her e-mail username was then sexy(random numbers).
Yeah.
RDG

>>I don't know, I have no middle name and was always
>>kind of proud of that -- it just seemed totally
>>unnecessary.  I have two names, a given name made of
>>two Chinese characters and a family name made of one
>>Chinese character, and have always been quite
>>satisfied.  It was kind of fun saying firmly to
>>slightly bemused adults "Yes, I really have no middle
>>name."
>

>My husband, who also has no middle name, says the US Army is totally
>inflexible on this point; he went through his military service as
>Steven NMI (No Middle Initial) Zoraster.
>
>--
>Margaret Ball
>http://www.flameweaver.com
>

>--

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for
eventually it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel