Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Tue Mar 11 17:32:09 EST 2003

>--- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>  I always felt that people without middle names were
>>  short changed by life, and was very jealous of a
>>  friend who'd scored two middle names.
>
>I don't know, I have no middle name and was always
>kind of proud of that -- it just seemed totally
>unnecessary.  I have two names, a given name made of
>two Chinese characters and a family name made of one
>Chinese character, and have always been quite
>satisfied.  It was kind of fun saying firmly to
>slightly bemused adults "Yes, I really have no middle
>name."
My mother wasn't given a middle name, and when she emigrated (she was
born in Israel) the US customs officers told her she could pick her
own.  So she picked 'Barbara," which she decided she hated a year
later.  She says she would have been happier had she left well enough
alone.  So when she married she took my father's last name, and used
her maiden name to replace her middle name.
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for