Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Mar 11 17:06:47 EST 2003

My favorite phone-solicitation moment was when someone called an
asked for "Mrs. Harrower" (Harrower is my partner, Mark's, surname).

I responded, in a deep voice, "Speaking."

There was a lonnnnnnnng silence on the other end of the phone.

I've done this when someone asked for "the lady of the house" as well.

hee hee

Ian

>Margaret said...
>
>>  Since then I've discovered the side benefit that when I
>>  answer the phone and the caller says, "Mrs. Zoraster?" I know this is
>>  somebody who doesn't know me very well and who is probably selling
>>  something.
>
>Ho ho.  Oh yes.  Every so often some dimwit rings up and when I answer says
>"Hello - Mrs. Maher?"  Patrick and I are not even married, so that's someone
>who really hasn't done their homework.  I take vicious, gleeful delight in
>explaining "No, Patrick's mother doesn't live here."  They usually hang up
>in stunned confusion. :-)
>
>Until the sky falls on our heads...
>
>Dorian.
>--
>Dorian E. Gray
>israfel at eircom.net
>
>"I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be
>mistaken."
>- O. Cromwell
>

>---
>
>--

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net