Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 13:25:19 EST 2003

Johanna
> This reminds me of the name "Tara" as in Buffy. When I first heard it I
> thought she was named "Terra" as in "Terra Australis". We pronounce Tara
> as Tar-a  (or Tah-a).

For me as I suspect for many people this word comes via Ireland and/or Gone
with the Wind - in both of which contexts I think of it as 'TAH-ra'.

However, I've never heard Ian mispronounced - i.e. pronounced any other way
than EE-en (is there an ASCII substitute for schwa?). But I've often been
caught out by the Scottish spelling of Iain (pronounced identically).

Charlie