Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Tue Mar 11 08:25:03 EST 2003

EE-un Riddell:
>You'd be amazed at the number of people in the U.S. that I've run
>into who see my first name and say "Eye-un" instead of "EE-un"
In my high school, there was a student named Ian Coe.  Now, one would
think with a full name of only 6 letters that it would not be
difficult to pronounce, or at least remember once you were told the
correct pronunciation (EE-un CO), but the woman who did the PA
announcements insisted on saying AY-un co-EE.  She was bad with
names.  At one point, when a girl corrected the pronunciation of her
name, the PA woman insisted that she liked the mispronunciation
better, so she would continue to call the student by that!
	For my last name, when professors ask me to spell it so that
they can find my papers in an alphabetized stack, etc. I usually
spell it as "G-A-N-E-lots of other Russian sounding letters"  Or
occasionally just "G," as most people, when left to their own devices
spell it with a 'K' for some reason.
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for