Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 05:20:47 EST 2003

Sallyo wrote:
>They are now Ange and Pete Ferris-Smith-Jones-Fysher-Fry.

I like the Spanish system, which is to keep both parents' surnames and only
switch to the paternal in the next generation. I was sponsoring a little
girl in Guatemala whose name, to my delight, was Elida Maritsa Cabrerra
Garcia. Cabrerra was her mother's maiden name, Garcia her father's name. Her
child's name would have Garcia in the one-but-last place.

I've kept my name, for both professional and emotional reasons. I am the
last of the Bar-Hillels (except for Bar-Hillels who are not related to me
but invented the name independently), the first of whom was my grandfather,
who generated it from his father's Hebrew middle name, Hillel. Bar-Hillel
means "son of Hillel". My grandparent had two daughters, both of whom kept
their names, but my aunt has no children. I have my mother's name as she
never married.

I wish I could pass the name on to another generation, but this is one of
the very very few issues that Hemmy is adamant about - he wants his children
to bear his name. We almost never disagree, let alone argue, about anything,
but the name business is a big exception. I practically had to beg and
threaten to get his grudging agreement that we give Roi a middle name that
echoes my last name (he is Roi Hillel Semo). Hemmy thinks names should be as
short as possible. Now he is flatly refusing to give a middle name to
due-anyday-now-but-yet-unnamed-baby#2, claiming that Roi having a middle
name is a lot worse than he ever imagined. I have no idea what he's going on
about. I'm still hoping he will give in before we need to seriously fight
about this.

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug