Tue Mar 11 01:57:18 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:49:16 -0800, Denise DeGraf wrote:

>Melissa Proffitt danced around singing:
>>And on this topic, I'd like you all to consider the genealogists of the
>>future when you're planning a name change.
>
>As I like to say to my mother (a longtime genealogist): I can name myself
>whatever I want with no regard to future children, because I've made sure
>this body can't produce any!  :^)

It's not just about children; future relatives on collateral branches will
also have an interest in you...unless you don't plan on having any nephews,
nieces, or cousins either.  :)  Besides, all this really means is leaving a
good paper trail....

>>   I have done enough searching to
>>be grateful for my ancestors not being any more clever about their names
>>than they had to be.  I only just learned why my maiden name (McShane) runs
>>into a dead end back in the 18th century; that name derives from at least
>>four different sources and in order to trace your ancestry any further, you
>>have to know which one.  Amazing the things you can learn in Vegas.
>
>I'll have to pass that info on to my mother -- we have the same surname in
>our line.  My great-grandmother was a McShane:
>http://www.sonic.net/mustang/familyquest/html/fam/fam00934.html

I wish I could say we're related!  I only know my own direct line, though
our family has contacts with other branches of the family tree.  I had a
friend in high school who was Melissa Johnson, ironically.  (She went by
Missy, and nobody knew the derivation of Johnson, thank goodness.)

Melissa Proffitt
(inheritor of the proud Proffitt Folk Music Tradition by marriage)

-----
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.