Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Mar 11 01:26:39 EST 2003

You'd be amazed at the number of people in the U.S. that I've run
into who see my first name and say "Eye-un" instead of "EE-un"

I got in the habit, in Canada, when giving someone my name to write
down of saying "Ian Riddell, R I D D E L L" because no one could
spell my last name. So I tried that here too. I'd get to the end of
it and people would say "How do you spell your first name? Does it
start with "E"?"

This amazes me every time. I guess there are no fans of the James
Bond books here! I wonder if the popularity of the Lord of the Rings
Movies (with Ian McKellan and Ian Holm) and X-Men (Ian McKellan
again) will change this . . .

blessings

Ian

>Whn I first began to sign my name on mailing lists, I used to get offlist
>emails asking me if I was a male or a female. They couldn't seem to
>understand "Ros" and thought it might be "Ross". Apparently, to many North
>Americans the shortened form of Roslyn is Roz, not Ros, because they would
>pronouce the "s" as in "moss", not "z". I considered just calling myself
>Roslyn on mailing lists; it would be easier, and besides, I actually *like*
>my full name. I do get called Roslyn by some people IRL, but Ros always
>feels friendlier to me somehow, so I still stick to it on mailing lists.
>
>And I'm one of the apparent minority on the list who has never changed her
>name (except when I got married. I still use my "maiden" name together with
>my married surname for some purposes but not all the time).
>
>Ros (Roz, *not* "Ross")
>
>--

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net