Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Tue Mar 11 00:49:16 EST 2003

Melissa Proffitt danced around singing:
>And on this topic, I'd like you all to consider the genealogists of the
>future when you're planning a name change.

As I like to say to my mother (a longtime genealogist): I can name myself
whatever I want with no regard to future children, because I've made sure
this body can't produce any!  :^)

>   I have done enough searching to
>be grateful for my ancestors not being any more clever about their names
>than they had to be.  I only just learned why my maiden name (McShane) runs
>into a dead end back in the 18th century; that name derives from at least
>four different sources and in order to trace your ancestry any further, you
>have to know which one.  Amazing the things you can learn in Vegas.

I'll have to pass that info on to my mother -- we have the same surname in
our line.  My great-grandmother was a McShane:
http://www.sonic.net/mustang/familyquest/html/fam/fam00934.html

Denise DeGraf ~~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're down as expendable.  You don't get a weapon."
    -- Diana Wynne Jones (Dark Lord of Derkholm)