Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 10 20:38:52 EST 2003

Whn I first began to sign my name on mailing lists, I used to get offlist
emails asking me if I was a male or a female. They couldn't seem to
understand "Ros" and thought it might be "Ross". Apparently, to many North
Americans the shortened form of Roslyn is Roz, not Ros, because they would
pronouce the "s" as in "moss", not "z". I considered just calling myself
Roslyn on mailing lists; it would be easier, and besides, I actually *like*
my full name. I do get called Roslyn by some people IRL, but Ros always
feels friendlier to me somehow, so I still stick to it on mailing lists.

And I'm one of the apparent minority on the list who has never changed her
name (except when I got married. I still use my "maiden" name together with
my married surname for some purposes but not all the time).

Ros (Roz, *not* "Ross")