Names, advice

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 15:16:58 EST 2003

--- Megan Knight <m.a.knight at ru.ac.za> wrote:
> Now, to take the final step and move this discussion
> completely off-topic.
>
> I need some name-type advice, and it struck me that
> you literary types might
> best be able to judge.
>
> My surname is Knight, my husband's is Hayes. We have
> kept our names for
> various reasons, for six years, but are starting to
> consider other options.
> (Loooooonng story). So, how do they soudn
> hyphenated, to you who have not
> been running the possibilities around in your heads
> for six years?
> Knight-Hayes, Hayes-Knight. I can no longer tell if
> they sound fine, or
> great or awful. And which one?

Caroline and I kept our surnames when we married and
we have never used anything else (she is Hale)
although she answers to Mrs Noble and I to Mr Hale to
strangers to avoid confusion (but only if its someone
we'll never see again so there is no point in
explaining). We seriously considered double surnames
for our children but decided against it as both
surnames could sound as both nouns and adjectectives -
Hale-Noble and Noble-Hale being out they are just
Noble, but they know they can use Hale if they wish.

> Or should we just say sod it and change both our
> names to Dingwall-Fordyce
> or Psmith.?

My feeling is to sick with what you have, unless you
can find something that has real meaning to you both,
or you want to go really over the top and make it
"heir-to-the- platinum-throne" or something. Just
remember if you have children they will have to live
with it too.

Jon