Joe Joe.Nankivell at ucd.ie
Mon Mar 10 10:42:08 EST 2003

Jon, Robyn & others:

> > >'Wowserism'?
> >
> > It is killjoyishness. You know, no drinking, no
> > swearing, no fun. I think
> > you have probably experienced people with the
> > attitude, if not by that word.
>
> I'll just add that the word is actually an acronym for
> We Only Want Social Evils Righted.

There's a great example of these in DWJ's story 'A plague of
peacocks' which I found in a charity shop over the weekend. They
get their comeuppance of course. Have other people come across
this story? Seemingly she wrote it specially for a hundredth
anniversary anthology in aid of the NSPCC - I can't tell if it has
since appeared elsewhere. One for completists to look out for,
anyway.

Joe