Kyla Tornheim kyla at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:35:54 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Sally Odgers wrote:

> Not the same where I live. The rhyming ones are as follows.
>
> Carrie rhymes with marry, baron, Aaron, Parrish, Karen
> Kerry rhymes with merry, Terry, heron, Erin, hemlock
> Mary rhymes with staring.
>
> And the difference is quite decided.

...and the interesting thing is that I agree with you completely, except
for Karen, which I would have put with Mary and staring.

The thing about not being able to distinguish between "cot" and "cought"
is called a merger, I believe, and it and the pin/pen thing are both
commonly known linguistic features. One of my friends, for her linguistics
thesis, looked at the language of military brats, and those two features
were two of the things she checked for.