Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Mon Mar 10 08:09:20 EST 2003

>  > They're pronounced the same here as far as I can tell...words with
>>  identical first vowels here are:
>>  Carrie, Kerry, marry, merry, Mary, Terry, baron, Karen, heron, Erin,
>Aaron,
>>  staring, Parrish, hemlock...
>>
>>  I can pronounce them all differently if I try extremely hard, but
>otherwise
>>  they all sound the same as I'm used to hearing them -- that is, with the
>>  vowel being the same straight across.
>
>Not the same where I live. The rhyming ones are as follows.
>
>Carrie rhymes with marry, baron, Aaron, Parrish, Karen
>Kerry rhymes with merry, Terry, heron, Erin, hemlock
>Mary rhymes with staring.
In my accent, and that everywhere I've lived (US midwest) heron
doesn't rhyme with *any* of those words.  I know two pronunciations,
the first rhyming with hair (which vaguely rhymes with Erin), but the
more common is closer to 'hear,' which to me rhymes with none.
-RDG
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for