Pronunciation (Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 15:09:18 EST 2003

--- Abe Gross <argross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > > I didn't realise that "togs" is (are??) specific
> > > Queensland. It must be
> > > the importance of the beach in Australian life
> that
> > > produces the marked
> > > variation in swim-wear words!
> > >
> > > (And after I wrote the above post, I realised
> that
> > > "bathers" being a plural
> > > word isn't really so strange after all; it just
> > > follows the pattern of other
> > > words for clothes worn on the legs: trousers,
> jeans,
> > > etc...Only if you use
> > > the word "swimsuit", it doesn't follow that
> > > pattern.)
> >
> > It does if you say "swimmers" which again are a
> pair.
>
> Is "swimmers" used in NSW, Jon?

Its what I use, and its what's used quite commonly
here, togs was used a lot when I was a child, but I
haven't heard it much recently, bathers you hear
sometimes. I suppose if clothing for the lower half
gets small enough it becomes singular rather than
plural, its a pair of undies or knickers but g-string
is singular.

Jon