Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Sun Mar 9 12:16:52 EST 2003

johanna danced around singing:
>That's it! I couldn't think of a good way to explain the pronunciation
>before w/o using a word that would probably be pronounced differently in
>different parts of the world... wait, is "baron" one of those or not?
>Eeep--anyway, w/the "ahhh" sound like "apple" & with a tinge (or more!) of
>the nasality associated with really heavy New York accents.

I think "baron" must be one of those.  I'm used to hearing it pronounced
ber-in unless it is being used as part of a foreign name, in which case it
changes to bar-on.

>Do people pronounce "Carrie" & "Kerry" the same as well? That's another
>thing I've run into occasionally & steadfastly refuse to do. It's those
>obnoxious NY "a" sounds again.

They're pronounced the same here as far as I can tell...words with
identical first vowels here are:
Carrie, Kerry, marry, merry, Mary, Terry, baron, Karen, heron, Erin, Aaron,
staring, Parrish, hemlock...

I can pronounce them all differently if I try extremely hard, but otherwise
they all sound the same as I'm used to hearing them -- that is, with the
vowel being the same straight across.

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"You're a hero.  You *can't* be a coward!"
"Oh, can't I just!"
-- Diana Wynne Jones