Sun Mar 9 07:16:46 EST 2003

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:13:46 -0600, Margaret Ball wrote:

>>Speaking of fantasy names - I'm somewhat surprised that I've never met a
>>real life Menolly. Anne McCaffrey's heroine's name fits very neatly in with
>>existing name stock, having similarities with melissa, Melinds, Melanie,
>>Molly etc. It's easy to spell and pronounce... so why (I wonder) has it not
>>been adopted?
>>
>Well, maybe not THAT easy...I thought of her for years as MenOLLY until
>Annie indignantly told me that it was obviously MENolly.

Oh, I'm so relieved!  That's how I learned to say it and when I finally
looked at the spelling pattern I realized that the emphasis ought to be at
the end.  So at least I'm screwing up the right way.

I heard that when Terry Brooks came to BYU one year, he did a signing in the
bookstore and there was a big line waiting well before the scheduled time.
About five minutes before, a clerk came on the intercom and said something
about how Terry Brooks, author of the SHAN-ar-ah series, would be signing
soon, and this huge chorus of voices all said "shan-AH-rah!" at the same
time.  A little bit later the clerk came back on and repeated the
announcement, but emphasizing the way he'd pronounced it the first time.
Apparently he'd checked with the author.  :)

Melissa Proffitt

-----
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.